Prior to travelling to Australia, scholarship recipients must:
- meet the minimum English language requirement of their chosen Australian university (usually an Academic IELTS result with an overall score of at least 6.5, with no band less than 6.0, or a paper-based TOEFL overall score of at least 580, with a minimum of 4.5 in the test of written English, or an internet-based TOEFL score of at least 92, with a minimum of 21 in all subtests, or PTE Academic overall score of 58 with no communicative skill score less than 50.)
- at the completion of EAP training, candidates must achieve a minimum score of IELTS 6.0 for Australia Awards Scholarships office to commence the application process for placement in a university program in Australia
- receive a letter of acceptance from an Australian university
- meet Australian immigration requirements for a student visa
- receive Government of Indonesia endorsement
- be medically fit to commence studies in Australia.
In Australia, scholarship recipients must:
- abide by the conditions of the scholarship and the rules of Australian tertiary institutions
- abide by the rules and regulations governing a student visa
- act in a way that will not bring disrepute to DFAT, or to any Australian university or to Indonesia
In addition, scholarship recipients must
- gain support from DFAT if seeking to return to Australia within the two-year exclusion period for anything other than a short term visa for up to three months. Visa applications for short-term visits do not require DFAT’s approval
- return to Indonesia for a period equivalent of twice the length of the study period in Australia, before re-entering Australia on another Government of Australia funded scholarship
- if during the two years exclusion period the scholarship recipients return to Australia, a debt to the Commonwealth may be activated OR any time spent in Australia may be added to the two year exclusion period.