Enhancing Website Accessibility
Australia Awards in Indonesia (AAI) is dedicated to providing an inclusive online experience for all users. As part of our commitment to accessibility, we ensure that our website's interface, features, accessibility, and compatibility functions align with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) standards. We are pleased to share that detailed information on our website compliance audit reports by AccessiBe can be accessed here.
At the current stage of website development, as of 31 July 2023, we have implemented several measures to ensure enhanced accessibility:
- Closed Caption and Volume Control for Videos: We have enabled closed caption (subtitle) and volume control options on videos to accommodate users with hearing impairments. Partner videos uploaded on their own links are exempt from this feature.
- AccessiBe Integration: AAI has partnered with AccessiBe, a leading AI-powered web accessibility solution. This integration enables our website to be fully accessible to people with disabilities, strictly compliant with the WCAG and other relevant accessibility legislation. Visitors can access the AccessiBe plugin by simply clicking on the accessibility symbol located in the lower right corner of our website.
AccessiBe Enhancements for Screen-reader Users:
- Screen-reader Optimisation: AccessiBe employs an intelligent process that meticulously learns the website's components from top to bottom. This ensures ongoing compliance even during website updates. AccessiBe provides meaningful data to screen readers using the ARIA set of attributes. It includes accurate form labels, descriptions for actionable icons (e.g., social media icons, search icons, cart icons), validation guidance for form inputs, and element roles such as buttons, menus, and modal dialogues.
- Image Descriptions: AccessiBe scans all website's images and provides accurate and meaningful image-object-recognition-based descriptions in the form of ALT (alternate text) tags for images that are not described. The technology also extracts texts embedded within images using OCR (optical character recognition) technology. Screen-reader adjustments can be activated anytime by pressing the Alt+1 keyboard combination. Screen-reader users receive automatic announcements prompting them to enable the Screen-reader mode as soon as they enter the website. Compatibility with popular screen readers such as JAWS, NVDA, VoiceOver, and TalkBack is assured.
Keyboard Navigation Optimisation:
Disability Profiles Supported on Our Website:
Through AccessiBe, our website offers various disability profiles to cater to the diverse needs of users. These profiles include:
- Epilepsy Safe Profile: Designed to eliminate the risk of seizures resulting from flashing or blinking animations and risky colour combinations for people with epilepsy.
- Vision Impaired Profile: Adjusts the website to ensure accessibility for users with visual impairments such as Degrading Eyesight, Tunnel Vision, Cataracts, Glaucoma, and others.
- Cognitive Disability Profile: Provides a range of assistive features to aid users with cognitive disabilities such as Autism, Dyslexia, CVA, and others in focusing on essential elements.
- ADHD Friendly Profile: Significantly reduces distractions and noise to facilitate browsing, reading, and focusing on essential elements for users with ADHD and Neurodevelopmental disorders.
- Blind Users Profile (Screen-readers): Ensures compatibility with popular screen-readers such as JAWS, NVDA, VoiceOver, and TalkBack. This profile is compatible with a screen reader installed on the user's computer.
- Keyboard Navigation Profile (Motor-Impaired): Enables motor-impaired individuals to operate the website using the keyboard Tab, Shift+Tab, and Enter keys. Users can also use shortcuts like "M" (menus), "H" (headings), "F" (forms), "B" (buttons), and "G" (graphics) to jump to specific elements.
Additional User Interface (UI), Design, and Readability Adjustments:
Through AccessiBe, our website empowers users with further customisation options, including:
- Font Adjustments: Users can adjust the font size, family (type), spacing, alignment, line height, and more.
- Colour Adjustments: Users can choose from colour contrast profiles such as light, dark, inverted, and monochrome. Additionally, users can swap colour schemes for titles, texts, and backgrounds with over seven different colour options.
- Animations Control: For epileptic users, all running animations, including videos, GIFs, and CSS flashing transitions, can be halted with a single click.
- Content Highlighting: Users can emphasise essential elements, such as links and titles, and only highlight focused or hovered elements.
- Audio Muting: To prevent issues arising from automatic audio playing, users with hearing devices can instantly mute the entire website.
- Cognitive Disorder Support: The website offers a search engine linked to Wikipedia and Wiktionary, enabling users with cognitive disorders to decipher the meanings of phrases, initials, slang, and other content.
- Additional Functions: The website offers further functions like changing cursor colour and size, using a printing mode, enabling a virtual keyboard, and more.
- Operating System and Browser Compatibility: Our website is designed to work seamlessly on the following operating systems and browsers:
- Operating System: Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger and higher, Windows 7 and higher.
- Browsers: Google Chrome (version 49 or later), Microsoft Edge (version 15.15063 or later), Safari (version 10 or later), Mozilla Firefox (version 54 or later).
Note: As of 15 June 2022, the Internet Explorer browser is no longer supported permanently by Microsoft. However, users can access the Australia Awards in Indonesia website, and its accessibility features through the above browser options.
Website Built on Accessibility and Compatibility Standards: Our website adheres to website accessibility and compatibility standards, including the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines and Accessible Rich Internet Applications in the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C). We utilise tools and software that support users with special needs.
A Flexible and Accessible Website for All: Australia Awards in Indonesia strives to build a flexible, user-friendly website that caters to users with different needs or preferences. We aim to ensure accessibility across various technologies, including mobile devices and assistive technologies for people with disabilities.
Exception: While Australia Awards in Indonesia continuously strives to meet accessibility guidelines, we acknowledge that some parts of the website may not fully comply with the guidelines. As a result, we will continue to conduct accessibility testing with the Organisation of Persons with Disabilities (OPD) to bring about changes and improvements throughout the program's lifecycle.
Disclaimer: Australia Awards in Indonesia is not responsible for additional softwares used by the users.
Contact Information: If you encounter difficulties accessing our website, please do not hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We welcome your feedback and value your input as we remain dedicated to creating an inclusive and accessible digital space for all users.