Tips to Connect with Australia Awards on Social Media
Engage with Australia Awards on social media during your study in Australia.
As an Australia Awards postgraduate scholar, you are encouraged to post on social media about your time in Australia, your love of the country, your study and professional development opportunities, and your connections to Australia. Promoting your Australia Awards experience and professional achievements can help build your professional profile and be beneficial to your career.
If you are looking to position yourself for new professional development opportunities or employment pathways, effective professional use of social media can help employers can understand more about you beyond your resume. Using social media for professional profiling can also help establish you as a thought leader.
If you are worried about using social media for both personal and professional use, you could choose a specific channel for professional use (say for example, LinkedIn and/or Twitter) and a specific channel for personal use (say for example, Facebook and/or Instagram).
- Connect with (follow or like) Australia Awards across social media channels;
- Always use #AustraliaAwards so that your posts can be found;
- Include an interesting, concise message with no jargon or acronyms. Consider messaging that is in the best interests of Australia and Indonesia;
- Use an effective, attention-grabbing image and/or video which show you engaging in interesting activities, visiting fascinating locations or networking with Australians;
- Picture quality is key. Videos must be under 60 seconds. You can also include a link to follow. Link can be shortened with bitly.com;
- If you are really keen, prepare a set of pre-written messages before the event or activity. Messages can then be tailored and photos can be added before posting.
- Don’t use the Australia Awards logo or the Australian Government’s logo;
- Don’t attempt to represent the Australian Government or Australia Awards. Remember that you are a recipient of support;
- Don’t criticise Australia Awards, Australia or Indonesia;
Australia Awards on social media
Twitter: Follow @AustraliaAwards and tag this handle in tweets where relevant. Use the hashtag #AustraliaAwards. Use interesting pictures and keep the posts concise.
Facebook: Follow and like the @AustraliaAward (Australia Awards) Facebook page, and share content by tagging @AustraliaAward in relevant posts. Include quality photos or videos of your experience.
Instagram: Follow @australiaawards on Instagram. Include strong photos and/or videos in Instagram feed and/or stories, which show you engaging in interesting activities, visiting fascinating locations or networking with Australians. Picture quality is key. Videos must be under 60 seconds. Remember to tag @AustraliaAwards or use the hashtag #AustraliaAwards.
LinkedIn: Join the Australia – Indonesia Alumni Forum. The Forum was launched by the Australian Embassy in Indonesia on 5 March 2016, offering any Indonesian who has studied/been studying at an Australian university or educational institution or has participated in an Australian government-funded program the opportunity to build their professional networks, share research, take advantage of internships and job offers, as well as stay connected with developments in their fields. Remember to use a professional tone in your messages.
You can also find the Australian Embassy in Indonesia’s social media handles that may have an interest in your Australia Awards experience. Find relevant social media channels here and include them in your social media where relevant.